Saturday, 9 March 2013

Jama Masjid Ahmedabad


Jama Masjid (meaning Friday Mosque) is the most splendid mosque of Ahmedabad, built in 1424 during the reign of Ahmed Shah. Lying in the old party of city, the mosque is situated opposite to Mahatma Gandhi Road, on the eastern side of Teen Darwaza.The Jama Masjid of Ahmedabad was probably the largest mosque in the Indian subcontinent built in this period. 

Jama Masjid wide open courtyard, floored with white marble, is ringed by a columned arcade painted with giant Arabic calligraphy, and has a tank for ritual ablutions in the center. The mosque and arcades are built of beautiful yellow sandstone and carved with the intricate detail that mosques of this period are known for. While the two principal minarets flanking the main arched entranceway collapsed in the 1819 earthquake, their lower portions still stand. The main prayer hall has over 260 columns supporting the roof, with its 15 domes, making a walk through the hall a beautiful maze of light and shadows. In its Indo-Saracenic architecture, the mosque also contains many syncretic elements not necessarily obvious to the viewer: some of the central domes are carved like lotus flowers, closely related to the typical domes of Jain temples; and some of the pillars are carved with the form of a bell hanging on a chain, in reference to the bells that often hang in Hindu temples. On one of the innermost windows there is even a carving of an 'Om' symbol. 

Road: Gujarat has one of the better developed road networks in India. Ahmedabad is well connected with all major cities and towns by road. Prominent bus stops are located at Gitamandir near Kalupur Railway Station and Paldi. Regular bus services are available by Gujarat state transport buses and private operators to all the major destinations of the state.
Nearest Railway Station - Kalupur Railway Station
Nearest Airport - Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International airport at Ahmedabad 

No comments:

Post a Comment